Charmaine M.A. Husum DKATI, RTC, CT
An empathetic and compassionate professional with a passion for helping others find their personalized way to healing through art psychotherapy, mindfulness and body focused approaches. Psychotherapeutic methodologies used are attachment based, humanistic, feminist and person centered Art Therapy. Effective motivator, communicator and advocate with inherit ability to manage many types of personalities, diffuse stressful situations, proactively resolve issues, and meet and achieve challenging goals and objectives. Has demonstrated track record of success working with diverse client populations in one-on-one and group settings. Current research objectives include epigenetics, neuroscience, neuroplasticity and generational trauma; all to be included in an upcoming book publication. Strong interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills are some of the many qualities Charmaine exhibits.
- Advocacy skills
- Clinical case presentation
- Sand tray/play therapy
- Narrative therapy
- Therapeutic skills
- Expressive therapy
- Suicide assessment
- Art-show facilitator
- Grief and loss
- Complex PTSD
- Autism Spectrum
- Downs Syndrome
- Anxiety disorders
- Crisis Intervention
- Family Education
- Group Facilitator / Leader
- Violence Prevention
- Continued Care Planning
- Client Assessment/Evaluation
- Document Research/Review
- Treatment Analysis/Planning
- Data Entry/Administration
- Sexual Abuse
- Individual/Group Counseling
- Leadership/Management skills
- Co-facilitation skills
- Conflict resolution
2013-15 Kutenai Art Therapy Institute (KATI)
Masters Level Graduate of Art Therapy, Nelson, BC. Honours certificate achieved
2001 McGill University
Sociology and Gender Studies
2000-01 University of Calgary
1995 Thom Collegiate High School Advanced Diploma and recipient of multiple arts awards.
2019 Dr. Lynne Murfin Functional Medical Clinic
- Work with Clients of Dr. Murfin & Dr. Van der Westhuizen using Art Therapy, Neuroscience, Kundalini Yoga and Mindfulness techniques in monthly and weekly Workshops.
- Write Blog Posts for Dr. Murfin’s website on the brain, neuroplasticity, Default Mode Network, Art Therapy, Yoga and Meditation.
2016-19 Private Practice: Centre of the Heart
- Private Practice in home studio where I see clients individually
2018 Peru: Tuky Tuky Retreat Centre
- Facilitated Art Therapy, Meditation and Kundalini Yoga workshops for 2 -10 day Plant Medicine Retreats
2018 Centre of the Heart Workshops
- Creative Integration: Integrating the Healing Effects of Plant Medicine Ceremony using Art Therapy, Somatic Experiencing and Reflection- Okotoks, AB
- Numa Somatics: Breathwork & Art Therapy Integration: Muscular Mechanic Clinic, Calgary AB
- Kundalini Yoga & Sacred Geometry: LIV Yoga & Wellness Studio, Calgary, AB
- Kundalini Yoga & Sacred Geometry: Casa Tara Retreat Centre, La Ventana BCS, Mexico
- Kundalini Yoga & Sacred Geometry: One Tribe 2018 Intentional Gathering Festival
- Teach Kundalini Yoga at various studios in Calgary and La Ventana, BCS, Mexico
- The Soul Speaks: Integrating the Healing Effects of Plant Medicine Ceremony using Art Therapy, Meditation and Reflection- Okotoks, AB
- Meetings with Madre: Women's Medicine Retreat- Invoking Creativity- East Shore Kootaney Lake, BC
- Creative Healing: The Heart Yoga Studio, Bragg Creek
- Facilitated 10 week closed art therapy group for women.
- Facilitated grief and loss art therapy workshop with group.
- Co-facilitated with registered psychologist and art therapist. Worked with male and female parents focusing on early childhood psychological development, co-parenting issues, stresses of parenting and ways to cope.
- Co-facilitated 3 monthly weekend workshops focusing on strength based resourcing for women using art therapy, Kundalini yoga, mindfulness and narrative therapy.
2014-15 Waldorf School
- Pilot program that evolved into a practicum placement with KATI. Worked with individuals and small groups dealing with issues ranging from grief and loss, attachment and abandonment issues, childhood depression and parental separation.
2014-15 Selkirk College: Art therapist
- Facilitated individual art therapy sessions for young adults with developmental delays experiencing difficulties transitioning into adult life. Clients needs ranged from dealing with past traumas of sexual assault to suicide ideation.
2014-15 Reach Alternative High School Mural project
- Worked with at-risk youth developing mural project. Presenting issues were drug abuse, suicidal ideation, grief and loss, teenage pregnancy, and homelessness.
2014-15 Castlegar and Slocan Valley School District: Leadership and the Environment
- With the help from a grant by Canada Post, worked with grades 4-6 teaching environmental awareness and helped support and cultivate mental and emotion healing after a devastating jet fuel spill in the remote and fragile area of Lemon Creek BC. Focuses of these workshops were developing leadership qualities and anti-bullying awareness.
2013-15 Individual Art Therapy Sessions
- Worked with a variety of individuals including women, children, and adults with developmental delays. Presenting issues were sexual abuse, suicidal ideation, ADHD, autism, anxiety disorders, PTSD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder and depression.
2013-15 Open Studio Kutenai Art Therapy Institute
- Weekly Art as Therapy open studio format for members of the community. Facilitated, organized and promoted.
2013-15 Selkirk College: Transitional Program for Adults with Developmental Delays
- Projects centered on art as therapy in a group setting. Through creating and sharing artwork, participants were supported and encouraged to express feelings relating to everyday life challenges.
2014 Bridges for Women
- Facilitated group art therapy sessions for the Bridging for Women BC employment program with the goal of helping women break the cycle of abuse and trauma and manage symptoms of PTSD. Thesis research was gathered using data on an art directive designed for this group.
- Facilitated weekly art as healing workshops for women. Workshops include, Mandalas for healing, Doll making, Animal totems, Prayer flags, Inside/Outside boxes and spontaneous art making. All projects focus on women gaining greater understand of one’s self, integrating aspects of self and healing through the process of art making and sharing in a group setting.
2014 LV Rogers High School Teen Girls Group
- Program developed with the assistance of school counselor’s recommendations for adolescent girls requiring extra emotional support.
2014 Mental Health Workshop
- Art as therapy workshop with adults dealing with sever mental health issues.
2013-14 Kutenai Art Therapy Institute Teen Girl’s Group
- An open group where at risk adolescent girls use art and group discussion to face issues of transitioning into adulthood, eating disorders, bullying, suicide, drug use, homelessness, relationships and family life.
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
2009-12 Mexican Schools, Baja California Sur
- Art and English Teacher
- Implemented and facilitated classes for two different schools in La Ventana and El Sargento, Baja
2009-12 Mexican Orphanage- La Paz, B.C.S., MX
- Organized and facilitated art classes focusing on healing through art with girls ages 8-18 at an orphanage in La Paz, BCS, Mexico. Presenting issues included sexual abuse, abandonment, homelessness, prostitution, substance abuse and fetal alcohol syndrome. All communications were in Spanish.
2009-12 Mexican School Murals- La Ventana, Baja California Sur
- Bringing together local Mexican children and community members designed and created murals on school buildings with a focus on community building.
2010-12 La Ventana Classic Garbage Clean Up- La Ventana, Baja California Sur
- Assisted in facilitation and organization of community garbage clean up.
2009-12 La Ventana Classic Fundraiser- La Ventana, Baja California Sur
- Working with the elementary school children, created awards for local kite boarding fundraiser raising over $20,000 USD each year
2004-15 Guatemalan Orphanage and Women’s Center
- Currently working to raise funds for an orphanage in Guatemala. Current project involvement includes setting up an arts/business center for women to sell their artwork internationally.
2000-01 Women for Women: Afghanistan
- Part of an international collective of activists working to spread awareness to the world of the atrocities experienced by women and girls at the hands of the Taliban. My experience with this group was before 9/11.
1999 CCASA: Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse
- Crisis Line volunteer counselor
- After 50 hours of training I would answer calls for the crisis line as well as accompany women to court, meet them at the hospital after abuse had occurred and give overall support to women in need and the organization.
1998-99 IATSE Local 212: Sexual Harassment Policy
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees
- Implemented and co-wrote the sexual harassment policy that was then adopted by other film and television locals of our international union. Also managed cases dealing with both physical, verbal and sexual harassment within the film and television industry working on resolution and education for union members. It was with the assistance of the Canadian Human Rights Commission that this policy was implemented.
1998-01 IATSE Human Rights Committee
- Implemented and chaired the human rights committee. Represented my union local at various conferences and events nationally, bringing back information and education to the membership. Wrote monthly articles for Union newsletter on Human Rights and union issues.
1997-98 Off The Wall Productions: Sexual Harassment Policy
- Created first sexual harassment policy in this workplace. At 18 years old, I was the only woman working in this production facility with 34 men. Experiences ranged from displays of pornographic pictures to threats of rape were common occurrence.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT / ADVANCED TRAINING.
2019 Light in the Shadow: Shadow Yoga, Shamanism & Psychology- 4 week course @ Embodied Philosophy Online training - with Isa Gucciardi
2019 Psychedelic Integration: Psychedelics, Neuroplasticity & Spiritual Practice- 6 week course @ Embodied Philosophy Online training - with Isa Gucciardi, Dr. Alexander Belser, Dr. Rachel Harris, Dr. Jae Sevelius & Kenneth Tupper
2019 Treating Trauma Master Series: 5 week course @ NICABM (National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine) - with Pat Ogden, Bessel Van Der Kolk, Stephen Porges, Dan Seigel, Ron Seigel, Peter Levine, Ruth Lanius & Allan Schore
- The Neurobiology of Trauma – What’s Going On In the Brain When Someone Experiences Trauma?
- The Neurobiology of Attachment
- How to Work with Traumatic Memory That Is Embedded in the Nervous System
- How to Help Clients Tolerate Dysregulation and Come Back From Hypoarousal
- How to Work with the Limbic System to Reverse the Physiological Imprint of Trauma
2018 Beyond Addiction- 9 day intensive and 16 week course- with Sat Kaur Khalsa
2017 Psychotherapy & Spirituality Summit- 30 Module Online course@ Soundstrue with 30 various presenters
2017 Trauma-Informed Yoga- with Dana Moore
2017 Compassionate Inquiry- with Gabor Mate
2017 Beyond Addiction- 9 day intensive and 16 week course- Gabor Mate and Dr. Sat Dharam Kaur
2016-17 Kundalini Yoga Teacher Training
2015-17 IBP training- 2 year program in Integrative Body Psychotherapy course which included Family Constellations therapy and pre & post natal therapy.
2014-16 Thesis Research/Writing-“An Exploration into Trauma and Healing: Using a Focusing-Oriented Art Therapy Approach”. Over 120 pages discussing leading research into the history and current treatment of trauma survivors experiencing the effects of PTSD. Using the information of nearly 100 publications, this thesis explores a Focusing-Oriented Art Therapy directive used with a group of female trauma survivors.
2016 Psychotherapy 2.0
7 day online workshop with 14 different presentations on leading edge discoveries and teachings in Neuroscience, Trauma, Mindfulness and Attachment Therapy. Presenters included Dr. Bessel van der Kolk, Dr. Diana Fosha, Jack Kornfield, Gay and Katie Hendricks, Steven Hayes, Richard Schwartz , and Ellyn Bader.
2016 Expressive Arts Therapy for Traumatized Children and Adolescents- Carmen Richardson @ Prairie Institute of Expressive Arts Therapy
2015 First Responder Training for Sexual Assault – Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse
2015 Focusing Orientated Psychotherapy Level II- Alexis and Shawn Philips
2015 Psychotherapy 2.0
7 day online workshop with 14 different presentations on leading edge discoveries and teachings in Neuroscience, Trauma, Mindfulness and Attachment Therapy. Presenters included Rick Hansen, Bonnie Badenoch, Peter Levine, Sue Johnson, Steven Porges, Dan Siegel, Esther Perel, and Joan Borysanko.
2013-15 Kundalini Yoga for Personal Transformation- Parts I & II & III Three 8 week courses in Kundalini yoga for personal transformation focusing on mindfulness and rerouting neural patterns to achieve deep healing and peace within the heart.
2013-15 Art Therapy Training Group- Kutenai Art Therapy Institute
2014 Expressive Arts Therapies workshop with Marcus Alexander
2014 Dealing with Grief and Loss workshop with Alan Wolfelt
2014 Sand Tray/ Play Therapy workshop with Cathy Swanson
2014 Photo Therapy workshop with Jeremy Addington, BA, BAA, DKATI
2007 The Divine Feminine
4-week workshop studying the history of goddess based religions in the world as well as moon cycles and how they can be applied, harnessed and activated for women.
2003 MKS Learning, Entrepreneurial Success
A business school specializing in self-employment and developing skills of an entrepreneur. Included in the program were classes on accounting, marketing, legalities and insurance, budgeting, creating cost reports and financial statements.
2001 The People’s Summit- FTAA Quebec City
A conference of progressive civil society from North to South America coming together to discuss the larger social, environmental and economic issues that arise from free trade agreements.
2001 WHIMS Training
2001 Alberta Federation of Labour/ Canadian Labour Congress
Jasper Labour School: “It’s a Small World: Understanding Globalization”
2000 World Women’s March
A National conference with workshops including Gender in Popular Culture, Challenging our own Heterosexualism and Inequalities in class with a focus on social welfare of all people regardless of sex, age, culture, colour, creed, or sexual preference.
2000 Alberta Federation of Labour
Shop Steward Training
1999-01 Saskatchewan Federation of Labour: Prairie School for Union Women
Women’s issues in the work place with a focus on implementation of policies.
1998 Mount Royal College
Set etiquette and protocol
ACTA ) Association of Counselling Therapy of Alberta)-
ACCT (Association of Cooperative Counselling Therapists of Canada)-
Registered Therapeutic Counsellor
CATA (Canadian Art Therapy Association)- professional member
CCPA (Canadian Counseling and Psychotherapy Association)- Member
CCPA - AB/NWT Chapter- Member
IATSE Local 212
(International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees)- senior member
Instructor/Art Therapist/ Counselor KATI
Art Therapist/ Instructor
Keys to Hope Counseling Services
Medicine Hat, AB
Dr. Lynne Murfin
Sat Kaur Khalsa
Nelson Waldorf School
Instructor, Selkirk College